Weekends, beginning May 2012
Lehigh Junction Station
Located behind Market Street, at Lehigh Junction Station, Market Square, Phillipsburg.
Fun for the family!
Hour long excursions along the Delaware River aboard an historic steam train. Enjoy the breath-taking views while traveling in a steam engine from yesteryear.
Every Tuesday night, from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
From Spring to Fall, Cruise Nights, featuring street rods and antiques cars at Joes Steak Shop, and Motorcycles (weather permitting). Combine shopping and fun all at once.
|Antoinette's Chocolatier||Jewell Computing|
|Cycle Funattic||Phillipsburg Hardware & Framing|
|Graphic Action||Salon Fusion|
|Helen's Florist||Gotham Shredders|
|Thomian Gallery & Gifts||Jiorle's Office Supplies|
|The Lock Doctor||Johnny's Automotive & Truck Repair|
|Tom's Lunch||Rocco's Pizza|
|Delahanty's Tavern||Indian City|
|Ice Cream Junction||South Stockton Station|
|Jimmy's Doggie Stand||Just Subs & Just Pizza|
|Joe's Steak Shop||Towne Market|
|La Bella Via Restaurant||The Sand Bar|
|Union Station Pizza||Marz Bar|
Mission Statement: To preserve and display the rich railroad history of Phillipsburg.
PRRH is a local railroad museum and historical group comprised of about 67 members. PRRH has acquired artifacts from the five (5) railroads that have historically served the Phillipsburg area; the Central Railroad of New Jersey (CNJ,) the Lehigh & Hudson River (L&HR,) the Lehigh Valley (LV,) the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western (DL&W.) and the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR.)
In 1992, PRRH acquired the Centerville & Southwestern (C&S) from the county of Monmouth. The group transported two engines, 32 cars, and 2 miles of track to Phillipsburg. This was a monumental task, with the lightest car weighing 660 pounds. The small engine (#1503) weighs over 3000 pounds and the larger engine (#1502,) weighs almost 6000 pounds. To date, PRRH has laid & refurbished over 700 feet of track and is planning to expand much, much more. PRRH has collected much memorabilia on the C&S. Most of these artifacts were acquired through donations from people who had ridden the train on the Becker Dairy Farm in the 1950's and 60's.
With the Town's assistance, PRRH would like to negotiate with New Jersey Transit (NJT,) a right-of-way across NJT property to the O’Donnell Apartments this year. Future plans are to take the C&S under the Black Bridge, through Delaware Park and into the NJTHC. Without the Phillipsburg Railroad Historians, there would be no Centerville & Southwestern in Phillipsburg.
In addition, PRRH volunteers have laid more than a 1000 feet of full size rail, housing two (2) L&HR cabooses, an L&HR flanger, an L&HR low side gondola, a CNJ caboose, a CNJ X-29 boxcar (owned by ARHS,) PLUS the last plant switcher from Ingersoll-Rand.
Utilizing UEZ grants, PRRH now has an Engine House that contains a Public Service trolley, owned by the NJERHS, and a 1922 Mack rail bus, owned by the Lehigh Valley Chapter of NRHS. Both are currently undergoing restoration. The engine house also serves as a storage area for the C&S train when not in use during Open Houses. There will be a third track into the engine house that will serve as a restoration area for their equipment. The L&HR flanger, which is the oldest piece of wooden rolling stock in New Jersey, is planned to be the first piece of our equipment to undergo full restoration inside their building.
Pending an agreement with the Town, NJT & NS, PRRH plans to restore the PU tower to an operating display tower with the equipment owned by one of their members.
PRRH monthly member meetings are on the 4th Wednesday of each month except November and December when it is the 3rd Wednesday, due to holidays. Yearly membership is $25.00.
Meetings will be held in the lower level meeting room of the United Presbyterian Church of Alpha, 859 High Street, Alpha, NJ.
In case of inclement weather, call Steve Winter at (908) 859-1277 for meeting status or email to Steve Winter at: PRRH Email
Ride the Historic Centerville and Southwestern Miniature Railroad, see historic and vintage rail equipment, and visit the museum and gift shop.
**MOVIES IN THE PARK**
Location: Shappell Park
Located between South Main Street and Sitgreaves Street (approximately 300 block of South Main Street)
Pre-movie entertainment: 7:30 p.m.
Movie Time: Dusk
|July 19||The Incredibles|
|July 26||Stuart Little|
|August 9||The Shaggy Dog|
|August 16||Monsters, Inc.|
|August 23||Cars 2|
Movies will start around 8:30 PM. Food vendors will be there selling refreshments. For more information call 454-5500 ext. 362.
- Feel free to bring blankets or chairs
- Security is provided by the Phillipsburg Police Department
- Bathroom facilities are available
- Back to Top
Phillipsburg Railroad Historians
Delaware River Train Excursion